Monday, May 26, 2008

Long Period of Separation and Financial Burden

My wife has been in the Philippines now for 20 months. Remember, I had to send her back to the Philippines because the law states that a non-immigrant cannot adjust status in the United States with a K3 visa. The attorney we hired charged us around $4000.00 with the expenses included. In addition, we had to pay for visa fees and affidavit of support fees which cost us approximately $700.00. In addition, I had to support my wife the entire 20 months that she was in the Philippines and provide her with airline tickets to the Philippines, and back and forth to the embassy, she had to take a 1 hour flight to the embassy from her mother's house. Conservatively, I would put this expense at $3000.00. Since the Consular Officer denied her visa and refused to issue the visa after our attorney appealed, I had to hire a Medical Doctor to write a Psychosocial report on our hardships. This cost me an additional $2500.00 in expenses. I earn a modest salary and this forced me to withdraw money from my retirement plan and added an additional $1900.00 in tax burden. The hardship waiver filing fee was around $600.00. I am producing this blog to help other couples in the same situation. And, I am hoping my blog will help me recoup some of my expenses with the advertisements posted on my pages.

4 comments:

Jim Thomson said...

What a fantastic blog!!


We are a voluntary community citizens legal advice service providing assistance in the areas of Family & De Facto Law, Parenting & Child Custody, Divorce and Property Separation, at various locations throughout Perth.http://bit.ly/tKWBzO

castiellofamily said...

Was the psycatrist's letter enough for them to approve it? You said you were suffering....?

Jada said...

w

Megan said...

ww